But as with many exciting hobbies, there is a cost. As anyone who's driven a motorcycle is keenly aware, motorcycles come with a much higher possibility of danger. The chance of an accident occurring is something all motorcycle drivers need to be constantly aware of. In a single moment, your life can change dramatically - physically, mentally, and financially.
Motorcycle Insurance is Essential for Protecting Yourself
The best way to shield yourself and your family from the unexpected is with motorcycle insurance from an insurer specializing in motorcycles.
Motorcycle insurance protects you from the costs associated with injuries to yourself or another driver, as well as repairs to your bike, and any property damage caused by an accident. It can also help to replace your motorcycle if it's stolen or damaged beyond repair.
Having adequate coverage will give you peace of mind when getting out on the open road, and ensures that if something were to happen, you won’t be left footing the bill.
Motorcycle Accidents Can Be Devastating
Insidious and unpredictable, accidents can have devastating consequences. One distracted driver can cause a lifetime of financial and emotional hardship.
And as a motorcycle driver, you are often at the mercy of those around you. You could be the most responsible driver on the road, but all it takes is one distracted or reckless driver to change your life, and the lives of your loved ones.
Motorcyclists face a higher risk of death and injury in motor vehicle crashes than any other type of road user. The numbers are staggering, with the probability being 28 times more likely to die, and 4 times more likely to sustain an injury compared to those in passenger vehicles according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Connecticut saw 68 motorcycle fatalities, the highest in 30 years, in 2021 (the most recent year data is available, according to the CT DOT).
No matter your diligence on the road, a single moment of distraction from another driver could be enough to cause hardship for years to come.
Distracted Driving Is On The Rise
Anyone on the road these days has seen other drivers looking at their phones when they should be watching the road. In recent years, mobile phone use has risen exponentially, and there's little reason to think it will change. The NHTSA found that the number of drivers visibly using handheld devices more than doubled from 2011 to 2020. The same report estimated that at any time, 7.9 percent of drivers are using a cell phone while driving.
In Connecticut, more than 5,400 crashes were attributed to distracted driving in 2021. With more cars on the road than ever before, it’s essential to protect.
The Astronomical Cost of Medical Bills
Another issue that affects motorcycle insurance is the astronomical, and increasing, cost of medical treatment. A single medical procedure can easily exceed the cost of a basic motorcycle policy. And if serious enough, medical bills could damage your financial security for life. In the worst-case scenario, a motorcycle accident can lead to injuries that last a lifetime.
Distracted drivers and the huge costs of medical bills should be enough to encourage anyone to secure motorcycle insurance, but there’s one reason it’s even more important.
Motorcycle Insurance Is The Law
By Connecticut law, owning a registered vehicle, including a motorcycle, means you are required to maintain continuous insurance coverage. The state mandates that motorists have at least $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident in bodily injury liability protection. This minimum coverage applies to any damages caused by the insured’s vehicle, as well as an additional minimum of $25K for property damage liability. You must also be adequately protected with up to $25K/$50k of insurance to protect against accidents involving uninsured or underinsured drivers.
Protect Yourself And Your Loved Ones
Motorcycle insurance isn't just about following the law or protecting your property and others from harm, but also yourself and your family. Keep in mind that the minimum insurance mandated by Connecticut law only covers people and property you damage if you are at fault. Damage to your body or vehicle is not covered by the minimum state requirements.
Having an adequate insurance policy will provide you with the financial security necessary to cover medical bills, lost wages, pain & suffering damages, and other costs associated with a motorcycle accident.
What Does Motorcycle Insurance Cover?
Motorcycle insurance policies typically cover property damage, collision coverage, medical payments, and personal injury protection (PIP). They also cover uninsured or underinsured motorists. Many insurance packages will also include roadside assistance or towing.
- Collision Coverage - includes damage to your motorcycle caused by an accident with another vehicle or object.
- Physical Damage Coverage - “Comprehensive” physical coverage includes damage not caused by a collision and typically includes things like theft, vandalism, or damage caused by weather and animals.
- Medical Payments and Personal Injury Protection (PIP) - pays for medical bills resulting from an injury caused by a motorcycle accident. This coverage can also include lost wages.
In most cases, motorcycle drivers will want both comprehensive and collision, but it depends on your specific circumstances.
How Much Coverage Do I Need?
The amount of motorcycle insurance coverage you need depends entirely on your individual circumstances. Generally speaking, more coverage is better if you want to ensure that all damages are covered in the event of an accident. The value of your bike, whether or not you have a loan, how often you drive, your financial situation, and more, will affect the most appropriate coverage for you.
Additional concepts are important to keep in mind when selecting the right coverage.
- Mandated vs Optional Coverage - Mandatory coverage is required in CT and includes bodily injury liability, property damage liability, and uninsured motorist protection. Optional coverage includes things like collision coverage or comprehensive physical damage. These are not required by law but provide additional security against the unexpected.
- Insurance Limits - Most insurance coverage has limits, which is the maximum amount that the insurer will pay for a particular loss. It is important to understand these limits when shopping for motorcycle insurance and make sure you get enough coverage for potential damages.
Choosing the best coverage can get complicated, but we are here to help you work through the various issues and questions that arise.
How Much Does Motorcycle Insurance Cost?
The total cost of motorcycle insurance depends on several factors and can vary widely based on your circumstances. The factors that have the biggest impact on the costs of motorcycle insurance include:
- Driving record
- How often and how far you drive
- Coverage selected
- Vehicle make and model
What Is The Right Coverage For Me?
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question as there are several factors at play. We are here to help you determine how much motorcycle insurance coverage is right for you.
While it's important to talk to an insurance specialist, their priorities might not be the same as yours. An experienced lawyer will be able to provide you with advice that is tailored to your exact situation. We will work with you to determine what is best for you. In the event of the unthinkable, the right coverage makes all the difference.
Contact us today and let us help you determine what type and amount of coverage is best for your needs.
Can Motorcycle Insurance be Canceled?
Yes, motorcycle insurance can be canceled at any time by either the policyholder or the provider. But your motorcycle must have insurance coverage for you to legally drive it. You can cancel motorcycle insurance to change providers or take the motorcycle off the road for an extended period.
If you are canceling your policy for non-payment of premiums, then it is important to remember that cancellation will be reported to the Department of Motor Vehicles and may affect your ability to obtain coverage in the future. If you are canceling because you no longer need the coverage, make sure that all unused premiums have been refunded.
Protect Yourself with Motorcycle Insurance
Motorcycle insurance is essential for protecting yourself, your bike, and other drivers from financial loss. You work hard for your money, and it can often be frustrating to have additional costs in the monthly budget. But adequate motorcycle insurance can make all the difference if the worst comes to pass.
Not only does the insurance protect you and your family in the event of an accident, but the peace of mind insurance also provides you and your loved ones can be priceless.
In addition to adequate coverage, there are many ways you can reduce the chance of an accident in the first place.
The Importance of Defensive Driving
Despite their all-too-frequent occurrence, the chances of a motorcycle accident can be drastically reduced by exercising due caution. Taking the necessary safety precautions when behind the wheel can drastically reduce your chances of a collision, ultimately saving you—and those around you—from unintended consequences.
Tips For Reducing The Chance Of An Accident:
- Obey traffic laws and practice safe driving techniques at all times.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Don't take unnecessary risks.
- Be mindful of other drivers on the road and their limitations.
- Embrace defensive techniques. “Leave yourself an out” in case of an emergency.
- Avoid driving in bad weather or at night.
- Always wear protective gear such as a helmet, gloves, boots, and a jacket.
Motorcycle safety is of utmost importance. While there are no guarantees that an accident will never occur, taking these precautions can minimize the risk and help ensure safe driving. Even though you can drastically reduce your chances of being involved in an accident, insurance is still a must for any motorcycle driver in CT.
What To Do In Case of a Motorcycle Accident
Despite our best efforts, sometimes accidents happen. If you're ever in a motorcycle accident, there are a number of steps you should take to ensure your safety and protect your rights.
- Stay calm - Being in an accident is a stressful situation, but it is important to try to control your emotions and stay as calm and rational as possible. Don't admit fault or blame the other driver.
- Check for and tend to injuries - Check to see if you or any of the other parties involved in the accident are injured. If the accident is severe, call 911 immediately.
- Ensure your safety - Move yourself and if possible your vehicle to a safe location out of the way of traffic. Be sure to turn on your hazard lights, and if appropriate use road flares and traffic cones.
- Gather information - Collect information from all parties involved in the accident and any witnesses. Make sure you get their name, contact information, license plate number, insurance company, and policy number if available.
- Take photos - Take pictures of the damage to both vehicles and any bodily damage. Take note of other relevant information such as road conditions, weather, or any visible skid marks.
- Contact the police - Notify the police of the accident as soon as possible. Make sure you get a copy of the accident report for your records.
- Contact your insurer - Immediately contact your insurer and provide them with all relevant information.
- Seek legal advice - Consider seeking legal advice from an experienced lawyer to ensure that you are protected and to receive adequate compensation for any damages.
- Monitor yourself - Even if you feel fine following the accident, you might want to seek medical attention. Be sure to monitor your body and watch for any symptoms that might indicate an injury, and seek medical help if necessary.
Knowing what to do in case of a motorcycle accident can make all the difference in protecting yourself, your rights, and securing the proper compensation.
Contact Us Now If You Or A Loved One has Been Involved in an Accident
If the worst has come to pass and you or a loved one has recently been involved in an accident, get in touch with us right away. Accidents can be a terrifying experience, and there can be a lot of confusion about what to do in the aftermath. The team at Dressler Law is here to answer any questions that you might have, help you file any appropriate paperwork, and make sure your rights are protected.
Our team is here for you every step of the way. With us on your side, you can rest assured knowing that your rights are being looked after.
Secure Your Peace Of Mind By Preparing For The Worst
No one ever wants to think about the worst-case scenario, but it’s important to be prepared. Investing in quality motorcycle coverage is essential for protecting yourself and your loved ones from potentially crippling costs. With adequate coverage, you can enjoy the open road without worry and ensure that if anything were to happen, you would have the support that you need.
At the end of the day, taking appropriate measures to ensure your safety and that of your family can be priceless. Investing in proper coverage is just one way to make sure that you can enjoy life with peace of mind.
Have Questions About a Motorcycle Accident or Insurance?
We are here for you
Since 1978, Dressler Law has been assisting clients with legal matters related to motorcycle accidents. Our experienced lawyers understand the laws and regulations surrounding motorcycle accidents and can help you determine the best course of action for your specific situation.
We are here for you, so don’t hesitate to contact us.
Get in touch today!