Of what is a champion made? It is the confluence of natural ability, dedication and perseverance that compels the champion to accomplish goals of which others only dream. These are the qualities of which Samuel Vega, Jr. is made.
As an amateur boxer, Sammy won 7 [SEVEN] National Championships and a Bronze Medal at the 1997 World Junior Olympic Championships. He is the former National Junior Olympic Champion, the former National Silver Gloves Champion, the former National PAL Champion, and in his weight class, formerly ranked #1 in the country and # 4 in the WORLD by USA Boxing.
His focus and dedication in the ring carried over to Sammy’s professional life. This proud Puerto Rican grew up in Hartford, attended Hartford public schools, trained in Hartford boxing gyms, became a role model for thousands of inner city kids as a national boxing champion, motivational speaker and Executive Director of Mega Education®, a scholastic incentive system designed to inspire, acknowledge and incentivize inner city students to maximize their individual and collective potential. He coordinates the program in participating schools throughout Connecticut and Puerto Rico. In 2012 Sammy Vega coordinated the procurement and PERSONALLY distributed 1,000 [ONE THOUSAND] computer tablets to selected schools throughout Puerto Rico. As President of the CICD Puerto Rican Parade, Sammy has proven to be a capable and responsible director of one of the largest Latino social agencies in Connecticut. In this role, Sammy works intuitively in constructing community partnerships to champion scholarship and educational opportunities to assure that Latinos will assume and capably occupy leadership positions in Connecticut. At 16 years of age, Sammy started at Dressler Law cleaning their offices. Now, as Chief Operating Officer of Dressler Law, besides coordinating IT and daily activities of a dozen lawyers and 35 employees, Mr. Vega directs the community outreach of the firm in Connecticut and Puerto Rico focusing on working with inner city youth.
Community Leadership Positions
- President: COBA Charter OAK Boxing Academy -2022 – Present
- Board Member: Colt Park Foundation - 2021 – Present
- Board Member: Big Brothers & Big Sisters – 2021 - Present
- Member: CCMC PJ Day for the Kids 2020 – Present
- President: CICD Puerto Rican Parade -2012 – Present
- One Hundred Men of Color Class of 2019 Honoree
- Chair Advisory Council: Catholic Charities Institute for the Hispanic Family – 2015 - Present
- Board Member: Roberto Clemente Life Commemoration Committee – 2015 – Present
- Vice President: COBA Charter OAK Boxing Academy - 2015 – 2021
- LUPA 50 Influential Latinos in the Greater Hartford Area – 2015 & 2016
- 40 Under 40: The Class of 2014
- Board Member: SODO NRZ - 2010 - 2015
- Board Member: San Juan Center Sports - 2004 – 2008
- Chief Operating Officer: Law Offices of Dressler Strickland
- Executive Director: Mega Education®, Scholastic Incentive Systems - Present
- State of Connecticut Official Proclamation declaring 6/18/04, Mr. Samuel Vega, Jr, Day