If this has happened to you, it's important to know your rights and what steps you should take. Whether you're dealing with physical or financial losses, understanding how insurance companies work and knowing what options are available for seeking compensation is key.
To make you aware of your options, the Dressler Law team has put together some expert advice on what to do if you were injured by an uninsured driver.
Injured by an Uninsured Driver? You May Have Options for Compensation
Don't let an uninsured driver leave you with mounting bills. Get in touch with Dressler Law for experienced legal help. We will fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
Contact us today at 860-247-1122 for a free consultation.
Understanding your Options for Compensation
Just because the other driver was uninsured, it doesn't mean that you are out of luck. You may be able to obtain compensation through uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage or suing the driver directly.
Your Own Insurance Company
When injured by an uninsured driver, you can often seek compensation through your own insurance company. First-party coverage under a standard auto policy covers expenses such as medical bills, lost wages, and pain or suffering.
In Connecticut, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is required by law. All auto insurance policies in the state must include uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, unless the policyholder rejects the coverage in writing. But it's important to note that the minimum coverage amounts may not be enough to fully cover the costs of an accident, especially if there are serious injuries or significant property damage.
Suing the Driver Directly
If you don't have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, you may still have the option of suing the uninsured driver directly. This is known as an uninsured motorist claim, and it means you can pursue damages from the person at fault. It's important to note that if the driver doesn't have insurance, they may not have the financial resources to pay a judgment against them. This is why it's important to have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage if you can afford it.
What Damages Can an Injury Victim Recover From an Uninsured Driver?
The party injured by an uninsured driver may be able to recover damages such as medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, emotional distress, property damage, and more.
The amount of compensation will depend on the extent of your injuries and any other losses resulting from the accident.
The Challenges of Pursuing Compensation from an Uninsured Driver
Because there is no insurance company to deal with, getting compensation from an uninsured driver can be a challenge.
Some of the challenges of suing an uninsured driver include:
- Locating the driver - Oftentimes, the simple act of locating the driver can be a challenge. Uninsured drivers may not have a car properly registered or insured, and they may not have the correct or up to date contact information.
- Proving damages - Proving damages can also be a challenge. It's important to collect evidence of your losses and present it in a convincing manner.
- Proving liability - You will need to prove that the other driver was negligent and that their negligence caused your injuries.
- Collecting a judgment - Even if you win your case, collecting a judgment from an uninsured driver can be difficult.
While recovering damages from an uninsured driver can be a challenge, with the help of an experienced personal injury firm like Dressler Law you may be able to get the compensation you deserve.
You Need an Experienced Lawyer
Navigating the legal process after an accident with an uninsured driver is complex and stressful. This is why it's important to hire a personal injury lawyer who can help you understand your options and fight for your rights.
Experienced attorneys like the team at Dressler Law will help you understand your options and maximize your total compensation. We will negotiate with your insurance company, file necessary paperwork, gather evidence, and do anything else that can be done to support your claim.
If necessary, we will build a strong case for compensation and represent you in court. We will work hard to ensure you receive the maximum compensation possible from damages caused by an uninsured driver responsible.
Get in touch today to learn more about your options.
What to Do at the Scene of the Accident
If the worst happens and you are involved in an accident, there are certain things that you should do.
- Stay calm and check to make sure that everyone is okay
- Call the police and report the accident.
- Document the accident.
- Take pictures of the damage to both vehicles. Get contact information from the other driver, including their name, address, phone number, driver's license and plate number, and insurance information if they have it.
- Even if the other driver is uninsured, it's important to exchange contact and insurance information, as they may have other assets that can be used to compensate you for your injuries.
- Seek medical attention right away and keep all documentation related to your treatment and diagnosis. These records can be used to support your claim for compensation.
- Contact an experienced personal injury lawyer right away. A firm like Dressler Law will help file a claim with your insurance company, and take legal action against the negligent driver if necessary. The sooner you contact us, the better your chances of recovering a fair settlement.
By following these steps you can protect yourself if you are injured due to an uninsured driver and make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
We Are Here to Help
We can't undo the harm caused by an uninsured driver, but we can help you hold them accountable and get justice. Don’t let an uninsured driver leave you with mounting medical bills and other damages.
Contact us now and schedule your free initial consultation; let us take care of your case, so you can focus on recovering. We offer free initial consultations so that you can get the answers to all of your questions without any upfront costs or obligations.
Dressler Law offers experienced, personalized legal assistance. We are dedicated to fighting for the compensation that injured victims deserve, and will be by your side every step of the way.
Get the justice you deserve. Contact Dressler Law for experienced legal help today.